Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 09-06-2021, 11:34 AM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Just googled it. QPR got 18 points in Division 1 in season 1968-69.
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Wow - I've lived a lie for 40 years. I've seen it written. I've heard it yet you are exactly right, we weren't the lowest. Fair play - I stand corrected.

Bit like the Bryan Robson 27 second goal at the 1982 World Cup being classified in this country for years as the fastest ever WC goal, despite a quicker one in 1962 (which certainly wasn't in any of the football quiz books I was reading in the 80s!) All a moot point now of course thanks to Hakan Suker in 2002.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Progra...amme%3F&sr=8-1
Old 09-06-2021, 12:34 PM
The hero of Shadow Moses?

Levski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I seem to remember an odd quirk about Paul Williams. He was a decent, technically accomplished striker, who scored a lot of goals in the 93-94 promotion. All of his goals were in that one season, and all of them away from home.

I think I'm right in saying he never scored a league goal at home for us, but did score at Selhurst against us for Sheff Wednesday and Southend in different seasons!

(He might also have scored for us at home in an Anglo-Italian game, but we can ignore that)
Old 09-06-2021, 12:45 PM

JackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levski View Post
I seem to remember an odd quirk about Paul Williams. He was a decent, technically accomplished striker, who scored a lot of goals in the 93-94 promotion. All of his goals were in that one season, and all of them away from home.

I think I'm right in saying he never scored a league goal at home for us, but did score at Selhurst against us for Sheff Wednesday and Southend in different seasons!

(He might also have scored for us at home in an Anglo-Italian game, but we can ignore that)
Didn’t Paul Williams score one of our quickest ever goals (10 secs?) at Barnsley in the Smith promotion season? I seem to remember it was in the same week that San Marino scored in the first few second against England
Old 09-06-2021, 01:22 PM
Baller!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheBiscuit View Post
Didn’t Paul Williams score one of our quickest ever goals (10 secs?) at Barnsley in the Smith promotion season? I seem to remember it was in the same week that San Marino scored in the first few second against England
Not sure about the San Marino thing but the goal after 9 seconds at Barnsley was Chris Armstrong.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:13 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Not sure about the San Marino thing but the goal after 9 seconds at Barnsley was Chris Armstrong.
It was Armstrong and it was the weekend after San Marino - we started singing "Are you England in disguise?" at them.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk

Last edited by stevek; 09-06-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:11 PM

jake5 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowjake5 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowjake5 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowjake5 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowjake5 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowjake5 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowjake5 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowjake5 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowjake5 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowjake5 will cross the room to turn the lights down lowjake5 will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
I went to both games ! England v San Marino in Bologna midweek and flew back in time to travel up to Barnsley ! 2 goal within 15 seconds in 2 consecutive matches !( think San Marino scored after 13 or 14 !)
Old 09-06-2021, 08:00 PM

TenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandTenEmBee is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levski View Post

Another player to do that was Tony Evans im season 1983/84. 7 goals, all away from home. Typical Mullery signing
Old 21-07-2021, 12:10 PM

Sleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is here
Thumbing through my 75/76 Rothmans....

Dec 9 1974: C Palace have agreed to pay £4000 to Rothmans Isthmian League club Staines Town for their defender John Love (no pun intended). It is the first time one of the new professional clubs has received a transfer fee from a Football League club.
Old 21-07-2021, 12:38 PM

norwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Giant View Post
Thumbing through my 75/76 Rothmans....

Dec 9 1974: C Palace have agreed to pay £4000 to Rothmans Isthmian League club Staines Town for their defender John Love (no pun intended). It is the first time one of the new professional clubs has received a transfer fee from a Football League club.
Those were the days, football sponsored by a tobacco company, what next, beer and gambling, surely not.
Old 21-07-2021, 12:47 PM

Son of Ron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Ron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Ron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Ron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Ron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Ron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Ron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Ron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Ron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Ron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Ron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
Had we beaten Arsenal on the last day of the 92-93 season we'd have finished a single point behind them.

As it was, we finished 20th and them 10th. It was that tight in that first Premier season
Yep we went down despite being only 10 points outside the top 6 and even Forest finishing bottom had 40 points.
Old 21-07-2021, 01:24 PM
The hero of Shadow Moses?

Levski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLevski came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
Had we beaten Arsenal on the last day of the 92-93 season we'd have finished a single point behind them.

As it was, we finished 20th and them 10th. It was that tight in that first Premier season
That is truly bizarre and not at all how I remember it. That season Arsenal seemed to be streets ahead of us, beating us easily four times. They must have been garbage against other teams to finish 10th. So strange. Going to Arsenal on final day felt like an absolutely nailed on defeat and certain relegation, and so it proved, not at all like a trip to a mid-table team with nothing to play for where you have some hope. Maybe we all went in with the wrong mindset, fans included.
Old 22-07-2021, 07:58 PM

Sleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is here
....continuing to thumb said Rothmans. Apparently Feb 27 1975, Terry Venables confirmed as Palace Head Coach. The very next day, Coppell to Man U from Tranny. Don’t worry you won’t miss anything, will be right back if anything else noteworthy emerges

Last edited by Sleeping Giant; 22-07-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old 22-07-2021, 08:16 PM
It's all in the game

gamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I remember a very long time ago reading that a Crystal Palace player was the first (and possibly only) player ever to take a throw in whilst sitting down.

(apologies if this has been said already, it's a long thread to read)
Old 23-07-2021, 09:09 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
^ Ruddock ?
Old 23-07-2021, 01:23 PM
It's all in the game

gamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgamesmeister came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
No, way before his time, I read it as a kid in a book about weird footballing facts
Old 23-07-2021, 10:57 PM

KYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is hereKYLIE MINEAGLE Sam the man is here
Think you did'nt get that one GM.
Old 23-07-2021, 11:03 PM

nibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnibalama came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesmeister View Post
I remember a very long time ago reading that a Crystal Palace player was the first (and possibly only) player ever to take a throw in whilst sitting down.

(apologies if this has been said already, it's a long thread to read)
Woodruff?