Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 30-11-2021, 08:11 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Also out of interest, despite only being not even half a season after finishing 3rd, being 7th in the league at that point having won 8 out of 17 games and still with Young and Thorn in front of Martyn at the heart of our defence, we actually had the 3rd worst defence in terms of goals conceded; only Luton and Sheffield Utd had conceded more.
Old 30-11-2021, 08:14 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
The QPR game was the last one I attended during this season. A bunch of us headed over there straight after work, including a couple who supported neither tam but were happy to come along for the ride. A couple of quick drinks and then in we went. One of our number ended up getting into a row with a nearby policeman at the front of the away end, what started out as relatively tame stuff escalated and he ended up being ejected from the ground, much to our delight. It was his own fault really although the copper seemed to take relish in wielding his power.

Anyway the game was pretty entertaining and our defence of the trophy rolled on.

There were three new entries into the top ten week ending 30 November 1991 and a pretty eclectic bunch at that:

Ride Like The Wind by East Side Beat - this was an anaemic disco / dance version of the Christopher Cross song, it had no merit but got to number three.

Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana - having seen them low down the bill a few months back at the Reading festival and written them off, I was taken by surprise by the sudden Nirvana explosion in late 1991. The riff borrows heavily from Boston's classic More Than A Feeling. Out of principal I refused to like the song and i have stuck by my guns to this day, it does nothing for me.

When You Tell Me That You Love Me by Diana Ross - An overwrought ballad delivered by Ross in a style which seemed completely devoid of genuine emotion. It somehow got to number two, I can't imagine anyone choosing to listen to it these days.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:20 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Memories of the United game? Taking the lead was nice - United equalising was annoying.

It is Ryan Giggs that really sticks in my head. He turned 18 the day before this and I was just a week short of my 19th birthday. He played well. Hit the bar from miles out IIRC and we thought - ahhh, this hype that started in spring actually looks justified.

Not that I ever thought I was going to be a footballer but it really hit me that this guy was younger than me and clearly knew what he was going to do in life while I was doing A-level resits and still had no clue what I wanted to do for a career.

Bloody annoying by the end to lose 3-1.

Ashamed to say that this was a day Palace fans, myself included, went overboard with the Munich songs. It seemed to be a real thing for a few a years in the 90s. A lot of clubs were doing it. Thankfully I think that phase has died out a long time ago - really not required
Old 05-12-2021, 02:19 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Rumbelows Cup 3rd rd 2nd replay

PALACE 2 Gray. Thorn
BIRMINGHAM 1 Peer

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Supporting Katerina https://www.gofundme.com/supporting-..._co_campmgmt_m
Old 05-12-2021, 09:01 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
I’m amazed how many games that I know I attended, i have no memory of in this season, especially in comparison to the previous season. Count the two Brum replays to that list.

I guess it’s true what they say, that when you look back at summer’s in your childhood, you only recall the sunny days.

Old 05-12-2021, 10:31 AM

David Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDavid Giles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I went to all three Birmingham games that season. I know this is off topic but games against Birmingham always trigger memories of our two 6-0 wins against them in the 80s. I remember standing on the Sainsbury’s for the home one in disbelief. That was one of the first signs for me that we were making real progress.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:07 PM

NORWICH 3 Thorn OG. Beckford. Newman
PALACE 3 Newman OG. McGoldrick. Osborne

Old 07-12-2021, 08:27 PM
Lt. Columbo's no. 1 fan

dweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdweedman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
I’m amazed how many games that I know I attended, i have no memory of in this season, especially in comparison to the previous season. Count the two Brum replays to that list.

I guess it’s true what they say, that when you look back at summer’s in your childhood, you only recall the sunny days.
I find it astonishing how some people on here vividly remember every detail of 1-1 draws against Wolves in 1968, meanwhile I look up results from as recently as 3-4 seasons ago that I know I went to (sober, I might add) and of which I have absolutely no recollection.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:47 PM

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'm in both of those camps dweedman. Can remember the 90s, most games, scores, dates etc.

Ask me about 2016 season and I struggle
Old 08-12-2021, 07:39 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
I'm in both of those camps dweedman. Can remember the 90s, most games, scores, dates etc.

Ask me about 2016 season and I struggle
Same here (well, except for 2016-17, which I remember all the away games from because of the cycling).

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 11-12-2021, 01:47 PM

ZDS Area semi final

PALACE 0
CHELSEA 1. Dixon

Old 11-12-2021, 01:53 PM

A unique moment in our history; the one and only time we’ve been knocked out of a cup as holders. I was one of the 8,000 there, and recall the Sky cameras beaming the game live too. Wasn’t too gutted but remember feeling a little tinge of sadness as we relinquished our title. I think that feeling probably lasted as long as the walk from Selhurst to the car to be honest.

Chelsea actually lost the area final to Southampton, who in turn lost to Cloughie’s Forest in the Wembley final. Clough’s last trophy of a fantastic haul in his career.

Old 13-12-2021, 11:57 PM

Watched this one on Sky. Can remember the goal but little else tbh.

Stan Ternent being part of the Chelsea staff - mind blown! Really? I had no idea.

Just how many teams was Clive Allen part of that knocked us out of a Cup?? QPR 1982; Spurs 1987 and this Chelsea side. Any others?
Old 16-12-2021, 09:20 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
I missed a week on the top ten updates - not that anyone would have cared or noticed, but to satisfy my own conceit...

Week ending 7 December 1991

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me by George Michael and Elton John - live version of John's old hit, wildly popular and it got to number one. Boring.

Justified and Ancient by The KLF featuring Tammy Wynette - definitely not boring, they threw the kitchen sink at this. Those who said the KLF were taking the piss were missing the point. Yes, they absolutely wanted to undermine and subvert the established norms of the music industry but they also really cared about their product. This was evidenced in the increasingly elaborate and choreographed videos and TV performances as the money started rolling in. The video for this track had production values which Cecil B. De Mille would have been proud of. Would have got to number 1 if Freddie Mercury had lived for a few more weeks, the bastard.

Sound by James - One of several mediocre attempts to capitalise on their big hit Sit Down.

Week ending 14 December 1991

Driven By You by Brian May - Speaking of Queen here's the badger-hugging guitarist popping up with his first solo hit. The track originally surfaced on an advert for Ford cars.

Stars by Simply Red - This song has always particularly ground my gears, the musical equivalent of magnolia paint or plain boiled rice. Which fools liked it enough to buy the damned thing??

If You Go Away by New Kids On The Block - Surprised to note that they were still around by this point. Don't really remember the track.

Too Blind To See It by Kym Sims - An inconsequential but harmless enough slice of handbag house.
Old 16-12-2021, 09:23 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
ZDS Area semi final

PALACE 0
CHELSEA 1. Dixon
I'm just staggered that Kerry Dixon was still playing for Chelsea in 1991!
Old 17-12-2021, 06:08 PM

Rumbelows cup 4th rd

SWINDON 0
PALACE 1 Gray

Old 17-12-2021, 06:11 PM

Old 17-12-2021, 07:03 PM

That quote from Smith is absolutely brutal. Presumably with Coppell's full consent - laying the ground for interested clubs to start sniffing around?
Old 17-12-2021, 07:15 PM
Pilgrim Eagle

Location: On the road that leads from Horsham Eagle to Dorking.Eagle
John from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJohn from Beare Green : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I remembe I went to that Swindon game as I was working in Swindon at the time. I remember Swindon trying to pass the ball out from the back and us quite effectively doing what today we would call a "high press" to counter that.
Old 17-12-2021, 09:23 PM

And here’s 20 min highlights of the game.