Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:00 AM
Once More Into The Fray

Joe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is hereJoe85 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle View Post
After Windows 10 update, my pc keeps presenting a black screen, sometimes for a few seconds or up to a min. I have tried various key combinations and restarting per google suggestions, nothing works. Connected over wifi not lead. Help please.
Does the computer POST? As in do you see the manufactuers logo (Dell, HP, Lenovo etc) or is it just a black screen as soon as you tune it on?

If it does, does Windows even attempt to load, do you see the windows logo and loading symbol at all?
Old 08-04-2021, 01:15 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
99% sure it's not relevant, but I've just spent about an hour and a half live chatting with a Microsoft technician because my Outlook kept locking up during Send/Receive.

Also some odd things happening with Word and Excel files on my desktop moving around and/or disappearing until desktop was refreshed.

Anyway, he had no more luck than me fixing it than I have, and we ended up repairing/reloading Microsoft Office.

So far it seems to have fixed the issue, but as it was all intermittent it's hard to tell so far.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:58 AM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtown Eagle View Post
After Windows 10 update, my pc keeps presenting a black screen, sometimes for a few seconds or up to a min. I have tried various key combinations and restarting per google suggestions, nothing works. Connected over wifi not lead. Help please.
Will the computer boot from a Windows installation medium on a USB stick? You may need to go into the BIOS to tell it to boot from USB before trying another drive (possibly). If so, reinstall Windows from there. This will also check your disk and tell you if it is goosed. If it won't boot from a USB with USB set as boot priority in the BIOS, then it probably isn't a problem with the Windows update but the BIOS.

Directions for doing this are here: To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 08-04-2021, 09:05 AM

macstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
When I turned on my PC this morning I could not wake the PIN entry screen. Eventually I turned the computer off manually and then back on.

It went into this whole updating Windows routine, which took at least 20 minutes. I had fears I was going to encounter the same problems as the thread starter.

Got through it OK, but I hate the fact it does these updates without asking. I'm sure there is a setting somewhere that gives you the option to be asked first.

For all its faults, at least Apple only updates its iOS when you give it the OK to do so.
Having similar problems. Yes there is a setting to stop the updates initiating automatic.

But iam also unable to get a major update to complete with it coming back with an 'update failed' at the end of it. Also troubleshooter didnt work.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:16 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
99% sure it's not relevant, but I've just spent about an hour and a half live chatting with a Microsoft technician because my Outlook kept locking up during Send/Receive.

Also some odd things happening with Word and Excel files on my desktop moving around and/or disappearing until desktop was refreshed.

Anyway, he had no more luck than me fixing it than I have, and we ended up repairing/reloading Microsoft Office.

So far it seems to have fixed the issue, but as it was all intermittent it's hard to tell so far.
Still doing it...
Old 08-04-2021, 08:04 PM

SE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is here
Gave up with Windows. Android, is far better although it has some faults, its updates are indiscernible.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:13 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
It was because of all the inordinate crap you have to put up with Microsoft products that I switched to Apple many years ago.
Yes, they're more expensive, yes they're not perfect, but I for one don't begrudge the extra cash just for the virtually crap free computing experience. I can literally count on one hand the issues I have had with Apple software over the last 10 years.
I still use Office from time to time.... and guess what? Yes, Word particularly, crashes/doesnt update without issues/generally pisses me off on a regular basis.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:19 PM
Sans Peur

RDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is hereRDSdaEAGLE Sam the man is here
I honestly don't have any issues with Windows. Windows 10 is a huge improvement on the calamity that everything from Vista to Windows 8.1.

I know it's not hugely helpful, but you can change how Windows behaves with updates to prevent them from automatically installing. I don't do that as I am on their Insider Preview programme and generally don't notice problems with updates.