Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:09 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherstonpalace View Post
This raises a very legitimate question.

Longstanding home and away season ticket holders are entitled to some kind of reassurance about the product they're being asked to buy next season.

If that product is a manager professing himself to be "very happy" after failing to create a single chance at home to a team promoted via the play-offs, then it will be with great sadness that I choose not to renew my season ticket.
Indeed, that is quite damning.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:23 AM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
The absence of three crucial players in Zaha, Schlupp and McArthur has really limited us.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 01-03-2021, 08:26 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
The absence of three crucial players in Zaha, Schlupp and MacArthur has really limited us.
All three started the home game vs Brighton where our penalty was the only shot (on- and off-target) we had all game.

To suggest that we were poor yesterday simply because those three were missing is, I'm afraid, nonsense.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:32 AM
Anything from Milan?

spt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is here
Wonder if people will feel the same if we are relegated playing attacking football and Zaha, Eze etc all leave.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spt1978 View Post
Wonder if people will feel the same if we are relegated playing attacking football and Zaha, Eze etc all leave.
I don't think people are calling for a 1-1-8 formation but do you not think it is reasonable to be critical when we didn't have a single shot on target at home against a team in the bottom three that got promoted through the play offs?
Old 01-03-2021, 08:37 AM

Favelly Weston : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFavelly Weston : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFavelly Weston : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFavelly Weston : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFavelly Weston : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFavelly Weston : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFavelly Weston : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFavelly Weston : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFavelly Weston : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFavelly Weston : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineFavelly Weston : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Well a lot of people won't be renewing their season tickets then for a different reason.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:39 AM
Anything from Milan?

spt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is herespt1978 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
I don't think people are calling for a 1-1-8 formation but do you not think it is reasonable to be critical when we didn't have a single shot on target at home against a team in the bottom three that got promoted through the play offs?
I just don’t see the talent in our squad (Zaha and Eze aside) to play a different style. The board have hardly shown themselves willing to invest the funds or time in making it work either, which is how we got Roy in the first place.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:50 AM

white : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhite : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhite : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhite : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhite : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhite : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhite : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhite : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhite : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhite : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewhite : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
All three started the home game vs Brighton where our penalty was the only shot (on- and off-target) we had all game.

To suggest that we were poor yesterday simply because those three were missing is, I'm afraid, nonsense.
Spot on.

I get we have quite a few injuries at the moment, that no doubt make RH's job harder.

But lets not pretend we don't setup this negatively when those players are fit...

We have had 3 shots or less on target in the vast majority of our games this season. In the league only Sheffield United, WBA and Burnley have had less on target.

Not to mention our 2 Cup games, where we managed a total of 1 shot on target across 2 games - one of which we played an extra 30 minutes.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I just don’t see the talent in our squad (Zaha and Eze aside) to play a different style. The board have hardly shown themselves willing to invest the funds or time in making it work either, which is how we got Roy in the first place.
I'm not getting at you but.....to the point, do you not think we have enough in that side to be having one/a few/some shots on target at home against a team in the bottom three that got promoted through the play offs? Do you think that we got all we could out of that side yesterday?

And of course Eze was playing yesterday.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:00 AM
Anything from Milan?

Quote:
I'm not getting at you but.....to the point, do you not think we have enough in that side to be having one/a few/some shots on target at home against a team in the bottom three that got promoted through the play offs? Do you think that we got all we could out of that side yesterday?

And of course Eze was playing yesterday.
It’s one game. We have taken 10 points off the teams in the bottom 3 in 4 games. This is the only one we did not win. Brighton haven’t taken 4 points in 5 games against the bottom 3.

Not saying the football is great but We have an ageing squad which needs a complete rebuild. I do know what people expect.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
It’s one game. We have taken 10 points off the teams in the bottom 3 in 4 games. This is the only one we did not win. Brighton haven’t taken 4 points in 5 games against the bottom 3.

Not saying the football is great but We have an ageing squad which needs a complete rebuild. I do know what people expect.
Well, it's not one game (Wolves in the Cup - 0 shots on target, Brighton at home - 1 shot in the whole game, Leicester at home - 1 shot on target, Brighton away - 2 touches in their box in the whole game).

But I completely agree with you that we have 33 points from 26 games which is a very decent return. I also agree with you that the squad is horribly old, stale & pedestrian.

People can still be happy with our points total & fed up with the repeated turgidness served up - the question is whether the two have to be absolutely linked.

I actually think we would be so much better with fans in the stadium because i think the players would (be forced to) respond accordingly. We just have to hope we stay up, have a good clear out this summer & get back to it with fans in the stadium.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:32 AM
Cashback!

SEEPEEEFFSEE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSEEPEEEFFSEE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSEEPEEEFFSEE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSEEPEEEFFSEE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSEEPEEEFFSEE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSEEPEEEFFSEE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSEEPEEEFFSEE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSEEPEEEFFSEE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSEEPEEEFFSEE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSEEPEEEFFSEE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSEEPEEEFFSEE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The bit from RH’s summary from the game that really ****s me off is where he said he didn’t expect Fulham to come and attack in the way they did?!?! A team fighting for survival coming up against another who barely muster more than a couple of shots on goal per game and he didn’t think they would try and exploit that by having a go?

There are so many reasons for us to concerned at the moment but for me, not parting company with Roy at the end of this season is the biggest.
2012 - CPFC 3-0 BHAFC
2013 - BHAFC 0-2 CPFC (Play off Semi Final 2nd leg)
Old 01-03-2021, 09:46 AM

Gregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGregz41 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Longstanding home and away season ticket holders are entitled to some kind of reassurance about the product they're being asked to buy next season.

If that product is a manager professing himself to be "very happy" after failing to create a single chance at home to a team promoted via the play-offs, then it will be with great sadness that I choose not to renew my season ticket.
I didn't renew at the end of the 18/19 season after 13 years, I was very torn. I was bored by Hodgson's approach at the time and it's gone on to get considerably worse since then.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:50 AM
Lurker

sirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelly Weston View Post
Well a lot of people won't be renewing their season tickets then for a different reason.

The reality is that financially the club is better off in the prem with no st holders, than relegated and a full house. The owners are (whether you agree with them or not) prioritising prem/tv money over fans.

In the short term this is probably sensible. The club really needs a new 40,000 seater stadium to compete long term in the prem. People would have to accept that half the ground would be football “tourists” though
Old 01-03-2021, 09:50 AM

Eagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Black came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEPEEEFFSEE View Post
The bit from RH’s summary from the game that really ****s me off is where he said he didn’t expect Fulham to come and attack in the way they did?!?! A team fighting for survival coming up against another who barely muster more than a couple of shots on goal per game and he didn’t think they would try and exploit that by having a go?

There are so many reasons for us to concerned at the moment but for me, not parting company with Roy at the end of this season is the biggest.
Agree with all you say,if i was Parish i'd tell Roy where bringing your succeser to work alongside you.

If you don't like it we'll pay you up the remainder of your contract and wish you all the best.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:45 AM

Stats74 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStats74 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStats74 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStats74 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStats74 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStats74 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStats74 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStats74 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStats74 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStats74 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStats74 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Well teams know what to expect from us!!!
Old 01-03-2021, 10:51 AM
per aspera ad astra!

RAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdougie View Post
The reality is that financially the club is better off in the prem with no st holders, than relegated and a full house. The owners are (whether you agree with them or not) prioritising prem/tv money over fans.

In the short term this is probably sensible. The club really needs a new 40,000 seater stadium to compete long term in the prem. People would have to accept that half the ground would be football “tourists” though
It is arguable that the pandemic has been advantageous to the EPL and the tv companies. Even the BBC are getting an unexpected snack of games. If Covid variants continue to surface another lockdown will kill off any return of fans to stadia.

For all the handwringing, tv football might become the norm. It still feels a novelty and a bonus to see every Palace game live from my sofa.

From the EPL clubs' standpoint, whilst the tv finances are so good, who needs fans in the stadium abusing players and owners?

Even the lesser EPL clubs are getting more tv and press coverage than before Covid 19.

Hodgson has done a remarkable job in keeping Palace up with so little quality player reinforcement.

I hope Palace can stick around in the EPL for a bit longer because without the finances I think the BBS debate would be about things other than the manager and the style of football. I dread relegation.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:11 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:

Whilst accusations of Hodgson being over cautious are valid, Palace weren't playing a team promoted via the playoffs.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:18 AM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Hilaire's Afro View Post
Whilst accusations of Hodgson being over cautious are valid, Palace weren't playing a team promoted via the playoffs.
What?
Old 01-03-2021, 11:27 AM

Halfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalfwayline came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdougie View Post

With a 40,000 stadium you could virtually sell as many Away/Neutral tickets as you want. Certainly sell-outs for Liverpool, Man U, Man City, Spurs, West Ham, Chelsea, Arsenal, Brighton. At Cat A prices. If we could average an exra 10,000 x 19 games x £40 that's £7.6m Gross. Enough to pay the wages of 2 good players.