Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Crystal Palace Football Club Ľ General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:52 AM

LuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj4england View Post
Telegraph reports that we have 50 million to spend on 4 players, plus two loans on top. Can see this being enough to tempt big sam, who may want back into football longer term
I have not read that article myself but i honestly believe that is what we intend spending this summer as we realise it is what will be needed, and if we are to tempt getting Roy to stay on or are to entice a top new manager to join, then it will be needed.
Ok many on the BBS may think it's pie in the sky dreaming Palace affording that amount during these difficult financial times, but when you have 12 players out of contract plus having the Oldest squad in the division is it really that far fetched a figure to expect? this summer will provide the answer, interesting days ahead.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:57 AM

Old Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOld Bill : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Maybe Hodgson is just a cut above any manager who customarily manages at this level, so the only way to improve on him is to find an up and coming coach who hasn't found his level yet?
And in that market, there are a hell of a lot more frogs than Prince Charmings, and if you pick a frog, you get relegated. So we are looking at managers who are worse than Hodgson, but perhaps only a bit worse, or are simply younger.
Spot on in my opinion.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:05 AM

cpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is herecpfcfan1 Sam the man is here
Roy for another year and then a new head to take over after this big transition next summer.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:18 AM

BillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is hereBillyTKid Sam the man is here
Quote:
Maybe Hodgson is just a cut above any manager who customarily manages at this level, so the only way to improve on him is to find an up and coming coach who hasn't found his level yet?
And in that market, there are a hell of a lot more frogs than Prince Charmings, and if you pick a frog, you get relegated. So we are looking at managers who are worse than Hodgson, but perhaps only a bit worse, or are simply younger.
I think the quality of managers at our level is changing. The premier league is so lucrative and attractive. In recent years Benitez to Newcastle, Hassenhuttl to Southampton, Ancelotti to Everton etc.

I would not be at all surprised if a Benitez, Favre, Villas-Boas type was interested in managing us. We have the ability to pay someone £5m a season. There are probably less than 40 clubs in world football who would pay that.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:39 AM

bigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is herebigend1 Sam the man is here
Roy has done an incredible job fir the most part. The lack of investment and injuries he has had to contend with make the results ground out consistently remarkable. I wouldn't be distraught if he stayed for another year but it will feel like another year of limbo.

The main thing is his age. What 1 more year? This season is a season of overhaul. So many aging players coming to the end of their deals and the manager has money to spend (thanks to the roy era restoring the finances). By rights that should be roy but not if a new guy is coming in one more year. If we know we are going to change then it makes sense for the new guy to get the transfer budget and players he wants. That's the main reason for change, the timing of everything squad/budget/contracts etc works.

My other issue with roy is for all of the incredible results he's picked up when we are crippled by injuries and playing 3 games a week, he never gets the best out of the players when we should win. We have benteke but we don't cross. We simply don't cross when we should. We have tried passing around at the back and it doesn't work for us. We need to be direct and aggressive, put crosses into the box etc... we don't. When we do, usually in desperation we look a threat. I think others will get more from the attacking players we have and might get.

I've long thought howe was a done deal tbh. They don't want to announce it, tell the players until we are absolutely safe same with contracts etc as some may lose the fight if they hink an incoming manager doesn't want them etc. Dont rock the boat in a firefight! The celtic links make me wonder.

Dyche is OK. Like another roy with longer in mind. Sam would be the best option. I think he is the safest bet but will also play some good stuff going forward and it will suit our players most. Lampard I like but is risky.

1) sam
2) howe
3) Dyche
4) lampard

Or roy another year and this discussion can continue into 2022
Old 06-04-2021, 10:10 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
People need to remember that Allardyce is a crook. Would we be happy to have Pulis back here - absolutely not. The only real difference though is that he was caught red-handed ripping us off whereas Allardyce's misdemeanours have been at other clubs (well as far as we know anyway).
Old 06-04-2021, 10:21 AM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTKid View Post
I think the quality of managers at our level is changing. The premier league is so lucrative and attractive. In recent years Benitez to Newcastle, Hassenhuttl to Southampton, Ancelotti to Everton etc.

I would not be at all surprised if a Benitez, Favre, Villas-Boas type was interested in managing us. We have the ability to pay someone £5m a season. There are probably less than 40 clubs in world football who would pay that.
I don't see us in the same category as any of those clubs, I see us as aspiring to So'ton.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:25 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Quote:
I don't see us in the same category as any of those clubs, I see us as aspiring to So'ton.
I would agree that a talented foreign manager wanting to make his name in the PL would come here (but would probably be seen by SP as too much of a risk). Managers who have already proven themselves such as Benitez and AVB would probably feel as though they have nothing to prove and not really much to gain in terms of achievement with CPFC
Old 06-04-2021, 11:32 AM

Icy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is hereIcy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj4england View Post
Telegraph reports that we have 50 million to spend on 4 players, plus two loans on top.
Sad to say but £50m wont get us far in this day and age. Cant think of any young talented players that would maintain/improve our squad for less than £15-20m each.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:41 AM

Ogilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is hereOgilvy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
People need to remember that Allardyce is a crook. Would we be happy to have Pulis back here - absolutely not. The only real difference though is that he was caught red-handed ripping us off whereas Allardyce's misdemeanours have been at other clubs (well as far as we know anyway).
Personally I would rather have a crook in charge of recruitment than a snake.

A crook means that they sign players that will improve the team.
A snake signs players that he hopes will improve his image and opportunities sat behind a desk without getting the stick a manager does
Old 06-04-2021, 12:15 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
I can’t believe anyone wants BFS or Pulis back.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:21 PM

Stinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogilvy View Post

A snake signs players that he hopes will improve his image and opportunities sat behind a desk without getting the stick a manager does
Surely we can do better than a crook and a snake who are both past their sell by date and would stink the place out.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:22 PM

ParrsLeftBoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineParrsLeftBoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineParrsLeftBoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineParrsLeftBoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineParrsLeftBoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineParrsLeftBoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineParrsLeftBoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineParrsLeftBoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineParrsLeftBoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineParrsLeftBoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineParrsLeftBoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Sad to say but £50m wont get us far in this day and age. Cant think of any young talented players that would maintain/improve our squad for less than £15-20m each.
If we could stretch to signing 2-3 eze-esque quality type players and keeping that to 60m with 2 loans on top I would be extremely happy.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:27 PM
Orange Fleecer

SKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is hereSKATE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros 69 View Post
I canít believe anyone wants BFS or Pulis back.
Me neither!

Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream, Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily - life is but a dream!
Old 06-04-2021, 12:30 PM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
If we truly have that amount to spend, then it is a buyers market. Most of the championship clubs and below have taken out loans to cover the coronavirus period and those loans will need to be paid. This is probably true about all teams across Europe as income from in person attendance is a large amount of income to football clubs with possibly the only exception being the PL for the majority of clubs.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:32 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKATE View Post
Me neither!
Me neither. They both played important roles in maintaining our Premier league status but both those ships have long sailed.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:32 PM
Dis-Member

Blind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is hereBlind_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogilvy View Post

A crook means that they sign players that will improve their bank balance, not the team.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:33 PM

chateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is herechateauferret Sam the man is here
Quote:
Allardyce could be a nuisance if he were outside the tent pissing in I suppose. Pulis is finished.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:34 PM

Jimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJimbo ? : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Sadly I agree.
You don’t much for under 20M these days! It’s possible (eze) but you look at plenty of others that are in the 20-30M bracket.

I suggest it will also depend on who leaves over the summer too. (And the lack of clarity and decisions on this is scary!) but if we lose 5-8 players over the summer then we will need more than a few good replacements.
I would also say that the inevitable Zaha question will impact the transfer strategy too, when he goes we will have to invest properly or go down.

I hope behind the scenes that there is a strategy and plan for the next 5 years but it all feels very vague and drifting at the moment! Who are they players who is the manager etc, given we are now pretty much safe then surely this is the time to agreeing contracts and setting on a manager so that we can plan for a good summer. (Last thing we need is lots of players leaving and a some of chaos without a real plan and the excuses of difficult markets, couldn’t get the right players etc)
Old 06-04-2021, 01:11 PM

Stinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo ? View Post
Sadly I agree.
You donít much for under 20M these days! Itís possible (eze) but you look at plenty of others that are in the 20-30M bracket.

I suggest it will also depend on who leaves over the summer too. (And the lack of clarity and decisions on this is scary!) but if we lose 5-8 players over the summer then we will need more than a few good replacements.
I would also say that the inevitable Zaha question will impact the transfer strategy too, when he goes we will have to invest properly or go down.

I hope behind the scenes that there is a strategy and plan for the next 5 years but it all feels very vague and drifting at the moment! Who are they players who is the manager etc, given we are now pretty much safe then surely this is the time to agreeing contracts and setting on a manager so that we can plan for a good summer. (Last thing we need is lots of players leaving and a some of chaos without a real plan and the excuses of difficult markets, couldnít get the right players etc)
As others have mentioned, it should be a buyers market this summer and we will only invest £50m if there is value to be had.

If values are still where they are at last summer then we'll be more selective.